Minimum vocabulary expected for this level: 200 words.
- Alphabet – Spelling
- Greetings: hello, good morning, how are you, etc.
- Days of the week
- School: classroom, materials used, furniture
- Family members: mom, dad, mother, father, sister, grandparents, etc.
- The house
- Parts of the body
- Pets, farm animals and wild animals
- Food: fruits, vegetables
- Seasons of the year
- Numbers: up to 50
- The time: o’clock
- Descriptive adjectives for physical appearance
- Prepositions: in, on, under, between, next to
- Expressing personal preferences
- Expressing likes and dislikes: I (don’t) like pizza
- Verb to be
- Can, to have
- Personal and demonstrative pronouns
- Definite and indefinite articles
- Nouns: singular and plural forms (regular forms only)
- Genitives: apostrophe + s
- Imperatives (to which candidates should respond) in the oral session.
- Interrogative structures using: what, where, how old are you, how many, etc.
Oral and written expression
- Exchange greetings
- Follow simple directions in large and small group settings
- Answer questions in a short way
- Use familiar words and phrases; colors, parts of the body, numbers, and objects in the immediate surroundings and in the course books
- Read short texts